Alarm raised after smoke is spotted billowing from fish shop

editorial image

Fire crews tackled an electrical fire in a fish shop this afternoon (Friday).

Firefighters from Wakefield were called to Kirkhamgate Fisheries, Batley Road, at around 3pm.

A faulty electrical lead had set on fire, causing the plastic sheathing to burn away and leaving copper cable exposed.

The fish shop was not open for business at the time, but the garage across the road raised the alarm after seeing smoke coming from the building.

Two breathing apparatus wearers tackled the blaze using hose reels and a positive pressure ventilation fan was used to clear the property of smoke.