Bulldozers move in as pool plans progress

Demolition work starts on the old Minsthorpe Swimming Pool.

Demolition work starts on the old Minsthorpe Swimming Pool.

0
Have your say

Work to demolish the former Minsthorpe Swimming Pool as part of plans to regenerate the south east has begun.

Contractors started knocking down the building on Monday, which Wakefield Council said marks the beginning of a new era for leisure provision.

Coun Les Shaw, the council’s cabinet member for culture and leisure, said: “This is an exciting time for our residents in the south east as we push forward with the plans to give people a much needed, modern, high quality swimming pool.

“We are expecting the design plans to be available to share with residents early next year, and everyone will get the opportunity to let us know what they think.

“I understand and share - people’s desire to get the new pool up and running as soon as possible. But it is important that we get this right by doing the necessary preparation, which unfortunately can take time.

“I would like to thank people for their patience so far and ask them to bear with us.”

Work on the feasibility study for the proposed new leisure facility in Pontefract Park has also progressed.

The tender process to find the company who will carry out the study is underway and is expected to be concluded in January. The successful firm will then submit the completed feasibility study to the council’s key decision makers in June 2016.

Coun Shaw said: “There is no doubt that we’re now entering a new era for leisure provision not just in the south east but also in the Five Towns.”

A new multi-million pound swimming pool will be built at Minsthrope Community College and it is expected to be open by January 2017.

The council said the school was its preferred site to build the £5m facility at a meeting in November last year.