Chelsea: Fight for justice

chelsea hyndman
chelsea hyndman

THE heartbroken family of Chelsea Hyndman spoke of their desperate fight for justice on the anniversary of her death – as her boyfriend awaits trial accused of killing her in Crete.

The 20-year-old’s mother Heather Hyndman, 46, says she is still searching for the truth about what happened to her “perfect daughter”, who died on the Greek island on May 17 last year after suffering ruptured internal organs.

Chelsea’s boyfriend Luke Walker, 23, of the West Midlands, has been charged with causing her death by actual bodily harm and was released on bail last October, with a condition he stays on the holiday island.

But the devastated family say a trial date has yet to be set and claim they have hit a “wall of silence” from the Greek authorities.

Speaking to the Express before the family flew out to Malia to mark the anniversary of the former Castleford High School pupil’s death, Heather said: “I have never said whether I think Luke is guilty or innocent – that’s something for the court to decide after hearing all the evidence.

“The only thing I care about is making sure justice for Chelsea doesn’t get overlooked because she hasn’t got a voice.”

Chelsea, who had planned to work in Malia for the summer, died a day after she was admitted to hospital in Heraklion suffering from severe abdominal pain last year. She was later transferred to the Venizelio hospital where she had an emergency operation but died in the intensive care unit.

Mr Walker, of Brierley Hill, was initially charged with murder, but the charge was downgraded last summer. He denies causing death by actual bodily harm.

Heather, of Princess Street, Castleford, said: “I have so many questions – I’ve heard so many different versions of what’s happened. I will only believe what the experts tell me. I’ve always said I don’t know what happened, because I wasn’t there, but different things keep going through my mind.

“That’s why I want to know when the trial will be – I want answers but it feels like we’ve hit a wall of silence. The Greek authorities haven’t told us anything, everything we hear is from our family liaison officer and Luke’s defence lawyers.

“I have to accept that I may never find out what actually happened, but not knowing when the trial will be just makes things harder.”

The mum-of-two said her family was no longer in contact with Mr Walker or his parents, who launched a campaign to get their son released from prison while he awaits trial and paid a £13,000 surety. She was also upset with a number of comments posted about Chelsea by campaigners on social networking site Facebook.

Heather said: “When the trial happens I’m going to make sure the court knows exactly the kind of person Chelsea was. She was a bright, bubbly girl who was enjoying her life and loved her family. I want to make sure they know her side of the story and to remember Chelsea is the victim in this.

“We’ve tried to deal with Luke and his family in a dignified way – we’ve always said it would be wrong to condemn him or support him when we don’t know all the evidence. We hope that our trip to Malia will help us find answers.”