Faulty deep fat fryer causes house fire

editorial image

A faulty deep fat fryer caused a house fire in Ossett.

Fire crews from Ossett and Dewsbury were called to a property on Holly Approach at around 9.50pm last night (Wednesday).

An elderly couple who lived in the house were alerted to the fire by their smoke alarm and were outside by the time firefighters and paramedics arrived.

Watch Commander Steve Mitchell, of Ossett Fire Station, said: “The deep fat fryer had been left on and was faulty which set fire to the kitchen and smoke damage to the rest of the house.

“The female who lived at the property had to be treated for smoke inhalation and shock by the paramedics.

“The fire caused significant damage to the kitchen and it was very upsetting for the couple to see.”