This week we lead on a woman and her two children who were forced to escape from their burning home after arsonists torched two sheds in its back garden.
Also in news:
- Loving mum Natalie Wilson saved her daughter’s life by donating a kidney to her.
- Work on a multi-million pound project to restore Pontefract Castle will get underway this month.
- Community leaders in Pontefract have clubbed together in the hope of restoring the town’s former Crescent cinema.
- An asthma and epilepsy sufferer is not letting her conditions hold her back as she attempts to run 20 charity races this year.
- The sister-in-law of a young Featherstone boy who was born with Cystic Fibrosis is fundraising to support the free-running team which has helped improve his symptoms.
- After the big setback in France Castleford Tigers boss Daryl Powell is looking for a reaction from his players and believes he has seen it out on the training field this week.
- Featherstone coach Jon Sharp is looking for an improvement in Sunday’s clash against Dewsbury Rams at Big Fellas Stadium.
- Brotherton Bulldogs ARLFC open-age team have appointed Hull Kingston Rovers star Ben Cockayne as their head coach ahead of the new Pennine League season.
- In cricket, Methley held onto their three-point lead at the top of the Central Yorkshire League’s Premier Division when they beat Mirfield Parish Cavaliers by seven wickets.