In this week’s Express we report how former mayor of Featherstone Roy Bickerton has appeared before magistrates charged with fraud in relation to lottery cash used to build the town’s war memorial.
Bickerton, 76, of Sandhill Rise, Pontefract, appeared at Pontefract Magistrates’ Court on Monday accused of four counts of fraud and three counts of using a false invoice while he was treasurer of the Featherstone District Memorial Garden Fund.
Prosecutors said an investigation was launched into invoices totalling £5,728.46 submitted to the Big Lottery Fund by the Garden Fund.
Also in the news...
– Ministry of Justice has confirmed Pontefract Magistrates’ Court will close 18 months ahead of schedule.
– Council chiefs have slammed government plans to slash their funding by an extra £12.2m over the next two years.
– A mum said she is heartbroken after boxes containing her family’s baby photos, christening gifts and her stillborn son’s death certificate were stolen from her home and torched.
– Full details of Tuesday night’s Castleford Tigers meeting when the club’s chief executive Steve Ferres addressed a packed Castleford Civic Centre.
– Featherstone have announced two new signings who are the sons of former teammates who played in the same Rovers pack in the early 1990s.
– A full report and photographs from Monday’s race meeting at Pontefract.
– All the latest news and match reports from the local soccer and rugby scenes.
– A free cocktail at Frankie and Benny’s.
– BOGOF at Abdul’s,