This week we lead on a farmer who suffered burns to his face after he tried to save his farm from being wrecked by arsonists for a third time in just four years.
Also in news:
- A new website detailing a complete breakdown of cancer statistics has revealed higher than average lung cancer rates across the district.
- An angry Castleford family have accused Wakefield Council of ‘disrespect’ after a huge pile of earth was dumped on their father’s grave.
- Moves are being made to evict a group of travellers who have set up camp on the site of the former Pontefract fire station.
- A great-grandfather in remission from cancer turned have-a-go hero to stop a thief terrorising staff and a customer at his local shop.
- We also have a full round-up of A-level results.
In sport: - A full preview of Featherstone’s Kingstone Press Championship home clash against Whitehaven on Thursday evening.
- Featherstone Rovers are ready to take London’s place if the Broncos pull out of Super League next season.
- Castleford Tigers coach Daryl Powell praised his side’s character after their thrilling 46-34 win over Bradford Bulls.
- A full report and photographs from last Sunday’s race meeting at Pontefract.
- All the news from the local soccer and cricket scenes, plus a full round up of local amateur rugby and junior sports news.
- Free entry for children at Knowsley Safari Park.
- Children eat free at Frankie and Benny’s.