This week we lead on a child safety watchdog after it found opportunities to protect a seven-week-old baby were missed because agencies did not know about her father’s violent history.
Also in news:
- Divers recovered the body of a man in the Knottingley and Goole canal after a two day search .
- A body was found in a ginnel in Castleford.
- Long-awaited work to build 900 homes – along with shops and businesses – on the former Prince of Wales Colliery site in Pontefract has got under way.
- A Pontefract family are celebrating after scooping more than £1.5m in their National Lottery syndicate.
- A man suffered fatal head injuries after being punched during a confrontation with another man he suspected was having an affair with his wife, a jury heard.
- Castleford Tigers coach Daryl Powell has received positive news on several players who have been struggling with injuries ahead of the new season.
- Featherstone will host Super League club Hull FC in a testimonial match for former Rovers player Richard Whiting in their final pre-season warm-up fixture.
- A full round up of soccer, rugby league and rugby union match reports, plus junior sports news and reports.
- Travel to London with East Coast for £10.
- The ten finalists in our Face Of 2013 competition are revealed.