This week we lead on swimming pools in Pontefract, Castleford and Knottingley which are all at risk of closure as Wakefield Council looks to make £61m of savings in the next two years.
Also in news:
- Residents say they’re concerned that plans for new homes near Pontefract’s Town End junction could cause more problems at the notorious traffic blackspot.
- A popular pizza shop owner died in the arms of a teenage boy who raced to his rescue.
- Angry residents fighting plans for a £21m new housing estate in Knottingley have made a final plea to planning bosses to reject the application.
- The Only Way is Essex star Joey Essex went back to the jungle when he opened a new adventure golf course in Glass Houghton.
- Castleford Tigers expect to be near full strength for this month’s opening Super League game at Bradford Bulls.
- Featherstone Rovers coach John Bastian was delighted with his side’s display in their final pre-season match against Hull FC.
- Lock Lane suffered a shock Challenge Cup defeat after having three players sin-binned, one sent off and conceding 20 penalties against Normanton Knights.
- A full round up of soccer and amateur rugby league reports plus junior sports news and reports.