This week we lead on masked armed robbers who held knives to the throats of terrified shop assistants before stealing thousands of pounds worth of cigarettes.
Also in news:
- Campaigners and councillors in Knottingley staged a protest against plans to close the town’s swimming pool.
- Fire chiefs say tumble dryers and cooking incidents have contributed to a rise in house fires in Pontefract and Knottingley.
- A lorry driver has denied causing the death former St Wilfrid’s Catholic High School Bethany Jones in a crash on the M62 near Pontefract.
- A school which was put into special measures a year ago has been praised for achieving a dramatic turnaround in standards.
- We also have a special feature on money seized from criminals which will be given to community groups and organisations across the district as part of a new scheme.
- Castleford coach Daryl Powell hopes a red-hot atmosphere at the Mend-A-Hose Jungle will inspire his team in Thursday night’s home Super League clash against Leeds Rhinos.
- All the latest news from Featherstone Rovers who have announced ‘substantial investment’ in the club and are also looking for a new head coach following the departure of John Bastian.
- Pontefract Squash Club’s James Willstrop helped England retain the European Team Championship Trophy.
- Two pages of junior rugby league match reports and a full round up of cricket, soccer and amateur rugby league reports.
- Schools have a chance to win brand new sports kits.