This week we lead on Pontefract NEW College after it was named as the best in the country - according to a glowing report by Ofsted inspectors who rated it as “outstanding” across the board.
Also in news:
- Star water polo player Declan Thompson has become the youngest man ever to be called up to the sport’s Great Britain team.
- Hundreds of West Yorkshire police officers will be fitted with cameras in a bid to improve public confidence in the force.
- Underage drinking and irresponsible boozing are being targeted by a new scheme launching in Castleford later this month.
- Plans for a new multi-million pound link road to relieve congestion in Pontefract are expected to move a step nearer today.
- Castleford Tigers boss Daryl Powell is banking on rest being the best cure as his players head for the Magic Weekend to take on Wakefield Wildcats.
- All the latest news from Featherstone Rovers who have stepped up their search for a new head coach and hope to welcome back two injured players for Sunday’s clash against Workington.
- Pontefract Squash Club’s James Willstrop made a winning start at the Allam British Open in Hull this week by beating German number one Simon Rosner.
- There was heartbreak for Castleford RUFC who were pipped by Goole in the Yorkshire Silver Trophy final.
- Two pages of junior rugby league match reports and a full round up of cricket, soccer and amateur rugby league reports.
- Part two of our free World War One supplement.