Health bosses are warning smokers not to light up inside their homes.
Smokefree Wakefield, which supports smokers wanting to quit, has launched the Smoke Outside campaign.
Wakefield Stop Smoking Service, who are running the campaign, said smoking inside leaves poisonous chemicals in the home which are harmful to children.
Dr Andrew Furber, director of public health at Wakefield Council, said: “Many smokers believe that you can protect your family by smoking near an open window, using an oven extractor fan to blow the smoke away, or simply smoking less. But this is not the case.
“ Poisonous chemicals will still make their way around your home, settling on surfaces and then lingering for weeks after you’ve finished your cigarette.
“These poisons can seriously affect your children’s developing immune system and can contribute to increased risk of asthma or other health problems.”
Studies by health bosses found that poisonous chemicals including arsenic, formaldehyde and cyanide can linger on furniture and everyday household objects such as sofas, cushions, curtains, kitchen worktops and even children’s toys.
Coun Pat Garbutt, cabinet member for adults and health, said: “By choosing to smoke outside you are helping to protect your family from poisonous chemicals. .
For more information visit www.wakefieldstopsmoking.co.uk or call 01977 465449.