An elderly woman was taken to hospital after a fire broke out in her kitchen.
Firefighters were called to a house on Hillside Road just after 8am this morning.
A small fire had been started by a faulty toaster.
Watch commander Dave Smith, of Castleford Fire Station, said: “The woman had tried to put the fire out with a damp tea towel but unfortunately it burnt through.
“Thankfully she had fully working smoke alarms were alerted to the fire before it had chance to spread. This type of incident really underlies the importance of having smoke alarms and testing them regularly.”
The woman was taken to hospital suffering from smoke inhalation.
For fire safety advice or to book a free home check log on to www.westyorksfire.gov.uk