M62 death: Devastated mum calls for answers

editorial image

A devastated mother whose son was killed while walking along the M62 just before Christmas is calling for answers.

Ben Lloyd, 24, died instantly after being struck by a car as he walked along the motorway near Castleford just after 3.40am on Saturday December 21.

His mother Jenny Lloyd, 49, of Womersley, said there were unanswered questions about how Ben ended up on the M62 after a night out with friends in Pontefract.

She said: “He was last sited in Pontefract by his friends at 1am but there’s a gap until he was found on the M62 headed towards Normanton, away from home. No-one can tell me why he was going in completely the wrong direction.”

Ben, an electrician, had been working in Scotland and was due to join the rest of his family in London for Christmas after his night out with friends.

Mrs Lloyd said: “I know in grief people try to find answers or reasons, but I’m not trying to find blame, all I want to do is know what happened to him. We desperately need to know.

“He was full of bravado, but he wouldn’t have gone onto the motorway. He wasn’t an18-year-old not used to drink, I am realistic, but it was just a few drinks with his friends.”

West Yorkshire Police has voluntarily referred itself to the Independent Police Complaints Commission after it received a number of reports about a pedestrian on the motorway at 3.20am. It notified the Highways Agency but did not dispatch officers to the scene.

Wakefield coroner David Hinchliff opened and adjourned an inquest into Ben’s death on Tuesday morning. The court heard Ben had been struck by a VW Polo while walking along the middle lane of an unlit section of the motorway between junction 29 and 30. A provisional cause of death was given as multiple injuries.

Mrs Lloyd, her husband Paul, 50, and their daughter Sarah, 23, have been left shattered by Ben’s death, just days before Christmas.

She said: “I can’t believe he is gone. Sarah is just lost without him, they were like twins. She’s on a rollercoaster of emotions.

“Ben was crazily happy about everything. He always looked on the bright side. As soon as he came home the phone was ringing and the house came alive.

“He worked very hard, his friends said he liked to work very hard to earn lots of money so he could enjoy his life.

“He was always very popular with the group of lads he worked with and he had a huge circle of friends. He had a crazy sense of humour. He would never do anybody any harm at all, he would stay away from trouble.

“Ben always had time for everyone, people of all generations have come up to me and said how he’d never rush away, he’d always spend five minutes to talk to them.

“He couldn’t look at you without a smile. He was incredible. I shouldn’t be going to a churchyard and finding him in a grave.

“The life we had has gone.”

Ben’s funeral takes place on Friday January 3 at 3pm at St Martin’s Church in Womersley followed by a celebration of his life at Darrington Golf Club.

Mark Milsom, assistant chief constable of West Yorkshire Police, said: “A referral was made to the Independent Police Complaints Commission in relation to the handling of a number of calls received during the early hours of Saturday December 21, reporting a pedestrian on the M62.”