DOG owners in Knottingley say they’re devastated after a spate of “malicious” poisoning attacks killed five pets.
Emma McGuire, of Bedale Drive, said two of her Jack Russell dogs had been killed after eating meat coated in pesticide which was thrown into her garden – the first incident in January and second last month.
Miss McGuire, 27, said her remaining dog, Roxy, was also poisoned twice but survived and now never leaves her side.
She said: “My three-month-old puppy Monty died in January and his mum Poppy last month. Whoever has done this put poison in the meat. I took six pieces I’d found in the garden to the vet and they said it was definitely poisoned – it was black.
“They might only be animals to some people, but they were my animals. They were like our children, they might as well have poisoned me.”
Her neighbour, Georgina Wetherall, said she returned to her Ryedale Avenue home on Monday to find her five-year-old black labrador Moz and three-month-old Jack Russell Murphy dead and her eight-year-old golden labrador Chloe gasping for air, fitting and foaming at the mouth.
Mrs Wetherall, 34, took Chloe to Bartram and Patrick Veterinary Practice in Pontefract but she could not be saved.
She said: “I want to know who has done this. It’s absolutely devastating. My ten-year-old daughter Jessica is distraught.
“Our two-year-old Jack Russell Paddy survived but he’s a wandering dog and it’s been his saving grace. He’s not leaving my side. Everywhere I go, he comes with me.”
Michael Shewring, vet from the Bartram and Patrick practice, said: “In the case of Miss McGuire’s dogs, the owners brought in pork loin steaks from the garden which were coated in something suitably evil and suspicious.
“For two dogs to go from young, fit and healthy to seizing uncontrollably, there’s no doubt these dogs were maliciously poisoned.
“We want to make people aware of these problems. Walk around the garden and check before letting your dogs out. We want this to stop. What does anyone do to deserve this?”
Mr Shewring said he could not confirm whether Mrs Wetherall’s dogs had been poisoned without carrying out a postmortem but said there were similarities in the symptoms leading to all five deaths.
West Yorkshire Police is appealing for information into the deaths and inquiries are ongoing. Anyone with information is urged to contact PC Charlie Banks at Pontefract and Knottingley neighbourhood policing team on the non-emergency number, 101.