Pontefract Music Festival is on song for now...

Pontefract Music Festival will go ahead again this year after its organisers received a late flood of entries.

During the past week,organisers of the festival, which was first held in 1903, had more than 100 applications from people wanting to get involved.

The flood of entries has taken the total number of people wanting to take part up to 244 for the event, which is due to start in March.

Norman Dale, festival committee chairman, said: “We have enough numbers now to go ahead with the festival but the days will be shorter, some will be truncated into just mornings rather than whole days.

“It’s disappointing that not as many people have got involved.

“It’s a tradition that we don’t want to see die out and we’ll do everything we can to try and keep it going - it is a big part of Pontefract’s heritage.”

Mr Dale said the event - which featured more than 400 participants last year - could still be in doubt next year.

He said: “The future of the festival will be governed by the success of this year because that’s where we get our finance from.

“We are struggling, like all local societies and groups at the moment.”

The festival was also under threat last year because of a lack of support, but was saved after a grant from Wakefield Council’s community chest and an influx of entries.

The event is due to start with school choir performances at King’s School on Friday, March 6.

Entries can still be considered and should be sent to Liz Quin, festival secretary, at pontfest@hotmail.co.uk