PONTEFRACT has been chosen to host an official Queen’s diamond jubilee beacon during the royal celebrations next year.
Residents and revellers are invited to attend the event at Pontefract Castle on June 4, where an official ceremony has been organised by Wakefield Council to mark the Queen’s 60th year on the throne.
The beacon event – which will include a community picnic and firework display – is part of the national celebrations for the diamond jubilee that will link 2,012 official beacon lighting ceremonies across the country on June 3 and 4.
Coun Denise Jeffery, Wakefield Council’s cabinet member for regeneration and economic growth, said: “I am delighted that Pontefract Castle will be holding a beacon lighting ceremony as part of the Queen’s diamond jubilee celebrations.
“The castle is an important part of the district’s heritage and has had strong links to the monarchy since becoming a royal castle in 1399.
“I hope the ceremony will bring residents together in celebration and will be a great opportunity for people to see how successful the restoration work we are carrying out at the castle has been so far.”
A Wakefield district diamond jubilee committee is planning events across the Five Towns and launched the festivities in September with a celebration service at Wakefield Cathedral, which included a performance from Castleford Male Voice Choir.
David Dinmore, chairman of the committee, said: “It really was a wonderful event enjoyed by all.
“We are very excited about the events being planned for the diamond jubilee and hope that the rest of the community will get on board.”
Castleford and Pontefract Lions Club is planning a fairground extravaganza at Junction 32 shopping centre in Glass Houghton on May 17.
Keith Smalley, club chairman, said: “We are hoping to get big fairground organs at the event where Lions members and residents can come together to celebrate the royal event.”