Smoke detector warning after Knottingley kitchen blaze

editorial image
0
Have your say

Firefighters have warned people to make sure their smoke detectors are working after a blaze broke out at a house in Knottingley.

Crews from Pontefract were called to Thirlmere Place last night after an electrical fault sparked a kitchen blaze.

A West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson said the fire had been burning for about an hour when they arrived, but smoke detectors in the house were not working.

The fire gutted the kitchen and although it was confined to the one room, the rest of the house was left smoke damaged.

Crews managed to extinguish the fire using a hose reel.

Firefighter Nigel Amery, of Pontefract Fire Station, said: “Coming up to Christmas, when people have more electrical items plugged in, they need to make sure their smoke detectors are working.

“If people don’t have them, they can contact their local fire station which will fit them.”

Nobody was in the property at the time and firefighters stayed at the scene for around 90 minutes.