Tumble dryer sparks house fire

editorial image
0
Have your say

A family had to escape their home after a tumble dryer caught fire.

Firefighters from Hunslet were called to a property on Middleton Avenue, Robin Hood, at around 6.45pm on Monday.

Dave Jobson, watch commander at Hunslet Fire Station, said the dryer was in the cellar when it caught fire.

He said: “The family were upstairs at the time but were alerted by smoke detectors and made their way outside.

“If they hadn’t got any smoke alarms this could have been a very different situation and we would encourage everyone to have working alarms in their homes.”

For a free fire safety check visit West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service’s website at http://www.westyorksfire.gov.uk/your-safety/home/home-fire-safety-checks/