PONTEFRACT footballer Paul Green (pictured) is looking forward to returning to playing his football in Yorkshire after signing a two-year deal with Leeds United.
The 29-year-old midfielder (pictured) made one appearance for the Republic of Ireland team in the European Championships when he came on as a substitute against reigning champions Spain then came home to finalise his move from Derby County to Leeds.
Green had been a long term target of Whites boss Neil Warnock and said he was delighted to join him at Elland Road after coming to the end of his contract at Derby.
Green said: “I didn’t need any convincing. You only have to look at what he’s (Warnock) done with other clubs to get them to the Premiership.
“There were a few (interested clubs) in the pipeline, but this is a massive club and they’re looking to get into the Premiership – which is what I’m looking to do.
“I’m from down the road in Pontefract and there’s a lot of Leeds supporters there.
“My fiancée is a Leeds fan so she’ll be happy. She gave me a little nudge. I’m sure there’ll be a few more requests for tickets.”
Warnock was pleased to make Green his third summer signing.
He said: “Paul is a player I’ve been after for a long time, but obviously he was called up by Ireland for the European Championships so we’ve had to be a bit patient.
“I’ve seen him grow from his days at Doncaster and I’m delighted to have him here.
“I’ve always thought that he is a player who can create goals as well as score them and he has just the type of attitude we need at Elland Road.”
Green started his career with Doncaster Rovers before moving to Derby in 2008, going on to make 143 appearances for them.
Leeds, meanwhile, have moved closer to a takeover with a statement on the club’s official website saying: “Further to our previous statement of May 29, Leeds United can confirm they have granted an exclusivity period to enable a potential investor to carry out the appropriate due diligence.
“It is anticipated this will be a fairly straightforward process.”
The club revealed that the potential investors would be loooking to undergo the Football League’s owners and directors test, which would suggest that a complete takeover from Ken Bates was on the cards.