Nestle factory, Wheldon Road, Castleford. Announcement made of plans to close the factory.'p3952a050
Nestle factory, Wheldon Road, Castleford. Announcement made of plans to close the factory.'p3952a050

THE closure of Castleford’s Nestlé Factory dealt a “body blow” to the town resulting in more than 200 job losses.

Bosses at the confectionery giant – which has been in Castleford for 40 years – broke the news to staff that the Wheldon Road plant will shut at the end of 2012.

Production of After Eight mints and Toffee Crisps will move to sites in Halifax and Fawdon, Newcastle, and employees will be offered training and support to find jobs locally.

John Mallinder, regional officer for union Unite, said: “This is a body blow to Castleford as the Nestlé plant is the last big manufacturing facility in the town.”

David Rennie, managing director of Nestlé Confectionery UK, said the company aimed to offer staff alternative jobs at other sites.

He said: “Nestlé is performing well in a very tough market but we have to continue to operate as efficiently as possible to remain competitive.”

Also in the news...

SNOW chaos bought the Five Towns to a halt this month after the second bout of severe weather in the last two years.

Heavy snowfall and icy roads caused traffic chaos, school closures and no end of transport delays as temperatures plunged to below freezing for days on end.

But it was not all doom and gloom for the thousands of school children revelling in their unexpected days off, with snowmen and sledging high on the agenda.

Wakefield Council gritted priority routes and snow wardens were enlisted in the communities to help with clearing paths.

Council leader Peter Box said: “If we all work together, we can keep moving.”

FIREFIGHTERS were flushed with success after rescuing a man who became stuck behind a toilet bowl at his house.

Pontefract firefighters were called to the house in Chequerfield Road to help a 48-year-old man who had become trapped between the toilet bowl and the wall.

John Lloyd, watch commander, said: “When we arrived the man was well and truly stuck with his arm in a strange position and his chest squashed, making it difficult to breathe.

“The crew removed the toilet door to give him more room and with the extra few inches and a bit of twisting and pulling he slid free.

“He said he had tripped at the top of the stairs after a few drinks.”