A discarded cigarette caused a house fire in Normanton.
Fire crews from Castleford and Normanton were called to a terraced house on Castleford Road at around 8pm on Friday.
The smouldering cigarette set fire to the lounge curtains after it had been placed into a candle holder on a window sill.
Fire then quickly spread to the sofa and carpet.
A woman and a child were upstairs and were alerted by a smoke detector.
Both were taken to hospital suffering from smoke inhalation.
Fire investigation officer Gary Kendrew said: “The occupant did the correct thing in that she closed the doors to the lounge, which contained the fire and got herself and the child outside.
“The layout of the house meant they had to pass close to the fire to get out so this would have been quite a frightening experience for both.
“We cannot stress enough the importance of being careful with cigarette ends. Always make sure they are stubbed out properly and use an appropriate ashtray, not a makeshift one.
“A smoke alarm is vital and in this instance it has alerted the occupant to the fire and prevented a possible tragedy.”
To book a free home fire safety check call 0800 5874536 or visit www.westyorksfire.gov.uk.
Alternatively visit your nearest fire station to make arrangements.