Firefighters called to smouldering bin

Fire engine
Fire engine
Share this article

A smoking bin caused a minor stir in Pontefract town centre when a pack of firefighters were dispatched to check it over.

A fire engine with blue lights flashing parked next to the bin outside the Cancer Research charity shop on Cornmarket this lunch time.

A spokesman for the fire station said charity shop staff had extinguished the potential blaze before calling 999 at around 1pm.

Three firefighters checked the smouldering bin was fully safe as procedure.