A candle sparked a fire at a house in Hemsworth.
Fire crews from South Kirkby, Pontefract and Cudworth were called to Wood Moor Road in the town at around 7pm yesterday (August 11).
Watch Commander Colin Stringer of South Kirkby Fire Station described the blaze as a “severe fire” which spread from the bedroom to much of the first floor of the home.
It has left the house “severely damaged” and “uninhabitable”.
Watch Commander Stringer said: “Preliminary investigations suggest it was an unattended candle in the bedroom that started the fire.”
One person was in the property at the time but was not injured in the blaze.
Watch Commander Stringer said: “We advise that candles are always put in suitable holders and that people extinguish them before leaving the room to minimise any danger.”
Firefighters will be carrying out visits to buildings in Wood Moor Road and surrounding areas over the weekend following the blaze.
They will ensure people have working smoke detectors as well as raising awareness about the possible causes of fires, including leaving candles unattended.
Watch Commander Stringer said: “When we have had an incident of high profile like this, we use it as a way of getting messages out there about risks and dangers.”
Anybody who wants the team to visit them can call South Kirkby Fire Station on 01977 618147.