This week we lead on a new £4m link road in Glass Houghton which could pave the way for regeneration and ease traffic congestion.
Also in news:
- A Castleford funeral director who sexually assaulted a woman before a funeral has been fined and ordered to pay her compensation.
- Former pit worker Clive Cowell - who has volunteered in Allerton Bywater for more than 30 years – has been awarded a British Empire Medal.
- Tributes have been paid to long-serving former councillor Winifred McLoughlin, who has died, aged 93.
- Brave youngster Cameron Harper, who has cerebral palsy, will be having an operation next week to help him walk for the first time.
- A man has denied causing the death of a Pontefract teenager by driving dangerously.
- Castleford Tigers will field their strongest team for Andy Lynch’s testimonial game against Bradford Bulls at the Mend-A-Hose Jungle on Sunday but it will not include their longest serving player Kirk Dixon who has decided to retire from the game with immediate effect.
- Featherstone Rovers are set to have a new signing in their line-up in Sunday’s pre-season game at Wakefield.
- Young Malaysian players won six of the eight titles at Pontefract Squash Club’s Junior Open Championships.
- A full round up of rugby union, amateur rugby league and football match reports.