This week we lead on a trio of con men who tricked their way into a 98-year-old man’s home and rifled through his belongings in an attempted burglary in Castleford.
Also in news:
- Friends and family of Britain’s most famous pools winner Viv Nicholson – who died last month – paid their respects at a memorial service in her home town of Castleford.
- A man had his jaw broken during a vicious assault in a Pontefract town centre pub
- Homeowner Stuart Denton claims he is still without any wheelie bins despite moving into his new Castleford home five weeks ago.
- People living in Knottingley fear a care home which closed this week could be turned into a rehabilitation hostel for ex-offenders.
- Tributes have been paid to former Knottingley councillor Graham Clarke who has died, aged 81.
- Castleford Tigers coach Daryl Powell is backing his team to rise to a big challenge when they bid to complete a Super League double at Wigan Warriors on Friday night after trouncing them 42-14 at the Mend-A-Hose Jungle in March .
- Featherstone Rovers will be out to avenge a surprise home defeat against top-four rivals London Broncos when they visit the capital for the return fixture on Sunday.
- Photographs, reaction and match reports from last weekend’s victories for Castleford Tigers and Featherstone Rovers.
- Two pages of news from the local cricket scene.
- A full round up of amateur rugby league and football match reports, plus numerous pages of junior sport.
- Unlimited rail travel for £12.50