This week we lead on plans to close Ferrybridge Power Station within a year, with the loss of up to 400 jobs.
Also in news:
- Leeds United legend Allan Clarke visited Castleford to help mark the first anniversary of a cafe opened in memory of his friend.
- The political spotlight is shining on the district as two of our local MPs battle it out to be the next leader of the Labour Party.
- Investigations are continuing into the cause of a Knottingley house fire which forced people to be evacuated from their homes.
- Thieves smashed through the roof of a shop and stole £10,000 worth of mountain bikes.
- Campaigners have stepped up their fight against plans to close the last bank in Featherstone.
- After the big disappointment of an early Challenge Cup exit Castleford Tigers boss Daryl Powell wants his side to put a marker down for the rest of the season when they return to Super League action at the Mend-A-Hose Jungle on Thursday night.
- There is an “air of confidence” in the Featherstone Rovers camp ahead of Sunday’s Summer Bash showdown with unbeaten Leigh Centurions in Blackpool.
- Reaction and match reports from last weekend’s Challenge Cup matches involving Castleford Tigers and Featherstone Rovers.
- A preview of Pontefract’s first evening race meeting of the season on Friday.
- Two pages of news from the local cricket scene.
- A full round up of amateur rugby league and football match reports, plus all the latest junior sport.
- Chance to win tickets for this weekend’s rugby league Summer Bash in Blackpool.