Kitchen destroyed in Wakefield house fire

editorial image

A kitchen was destroyed in a house blaze in Wakefield after a cooker was left on and set fire to the items on the hob.

Wakefield fire crews were called to the terraced property in Woodcroft off Barnsley Road in Milnthorpe at 10.20am today (Thursday).

Neighbours heard the smoke alarm going off and teams of firefighters wearing breathing apparatus entered the house which was full of smoke.

Fire crews were at the scene for over an hour dealing with the blaze which destroyed the kitchen and caused extensive smoke damage to the house making it unhabitable over the next few days.

No-one was in the house at the time of the fire.

Fire chiefs are warning other residents to have a working smoke alarm installed, especially over the Christmas period, to prevent more serious incidents from happening.