A HORRIFIED shopper claims a mouldy screw embedded in a mushroom ripped out half her tooth when she bit into a sandwich.
Janet Ewerth, 54, said she was eating a bacon and mushroom sandwich at her Featherstone home when she felt a “horrendous” pain shoot through her jaw.
Ms Ewerth, of Leatham Drive, said she spat out the mushroom – which she had bought from the Aldi supermarket in Pontefract – along with half her tooth and a screw measuring three-quarters of an inch long.
She said: “I had eaten about half of the sandwich when I chewed down and thought I had broken my jaw. The pain was horrendous – the screw went right through my tooth and I spat it out and half the tooth and the filling came out.
“I just couldn’t believe it. I could have choked. I have a disabled son, he could have choked on it.”
Ms Ewerth was rushed to a dentist for an emergency appointment and was initially fitted with a temporary crown which has required a further two months of treatment.
The mum-of-one said: “I couldn’t use that side of my mouth because of the nerve pain – the dentist had to give me injections and make moulds of my mouth and give me a temporary crown but I’ve still got to have a proper one fitted.
“I want an apology and some compensation – I’m suffering pain, before I had that mushroom I had no problems with my teeth.”
Ms Ewerth said she the incident occurred three days after she bought a pack of four Portobello mushrooms from Aldi at the end of January.
She said she immediately complained to management at the South Baileygate store who asked her to fill in a complaint form which would be sent to the company’s head office for investigation.
Ms Ewerth said she continued to contact the store on a weekly basis throughout February and March but felt she was being “fobbed off” by shop bosses.
She said: “I told the manager that if I had to pay for my dental treatment it would have cost £250 and he said ‘you won’t get that, you’ll probably get a £30 shopping voucher.’
“He had this indifferent attitude, he said the store couldn’t take responsibility for things growing into vegetables in fields, as if they weren’t to blame. I don’t know what to feel – it’s their attitude. I’ve never been offered an apology, I’ve not even been offered a free pack of mushrooms.”
A spokesman for Aldi said: “Aldi takes the health and safety of its customers very seriously and we are currently investigating the issue.
“Customer satisfaction is a top priority and we are sorry for any distress caused to Ms Ewerth. We are working to resolve the matter as quickly as possible.”