McDonalds? KFC? Burger King? Mystery over who will run proposed new drive-thru close to Carlton Lanes Shopping Centre in Castleford

The identity of who might occupy a proposed new drive-thru restaurant in Castleford is shrouded in mystery.

Tuesday, 4th May 2021, 1:02 pm

Developers have revealed plans for what appears to be a fast food outlet within the town centre's Bridge Street car park, close to Carlton Lanes Shopping Centre.

But in their documents submitted to Wakefield Council they've made no mention of whether it's McDonald's, Burger King, KFC or any other big name that's being lined up to occupy the premises.

The planning consultants involved in the application said discussions were taking place with a number of potential operators.

Developers say the plans will create around 20 jobs.

Their application form however, indicates the restaurant would be open from 11am to 10pm every day.

In a planning statement submitted to the council, the developers say the plans will deliver, "A number of social benefits, offering an improved range of amenities and market choice in the locality.

"The creation of further jobs in an accessible location would also provide an added social benefit to the local community with wider spin off benefits for the local economy.

"In environmental terms, the proposal makes efficient use of previously developed land which currently comprises part of the wider car park which is allocated for development."

The statement also says that the existing entrance to the Bridge Street car park will be retained as an access point for customers wanting to use the drive-thru and restaurant.

It's understood the structure would be put up close to the car park's boundary with the neighbouring Aire Street car park.

Local Democracy Reporting Service