Castleford Parish Church looked blooming wonderful when it held a flower show.
The June 30 to July 1 event was part of year-long celebrations to mark the significant rebuilding of the church 150 years ago in 1868.
The well-attended festival was a collaboration between The Castleford Flower Club, The De Lacey flower club and the Parish Church congregation, both English and Polish.
Its theme was ‘Castleford Past, Present and Future’, reflecting the changes over time of both the town and church.
Father James Milnes, the Rector of Castleford Team Parish, said: “It is extraordinary to think that there has been human endeavour in Castleford for over two thousand years and evidence of Christian worship where the Parish Church is for at least a thousand years.
“The flower displays have powerfully presented how the church and the town share a rich common heritage and can have confidence to go forward in the future.”
Among the highly imaginative floral displays were a celebration of Castleford’s past industry: glass, coal, pottery and bricks. There was also a category depicting characters, including Castleford Tigers, Henry Moore and Bill and Ben, The Flowerpot Men.
The town’s landmarks, like the Queens Mill and the new footbridge were also sources of inspiration. Displays also incorporated the town’s heritage, including Lagentium (the fort settlement which Castleford is built on) and The War Memorial Hospital. The church will also host a heritage event on September 15 and 16. It would like couples, who have married in the church over the years, to supply a photograph of their wedding day so it can be displayed at that event. Send them to Rev Milnes, The Rectory, 15 Barnes Road, Castleford, WF10 5AA or bring them to the Parish Church on any Saturday morning between 10am and 11am.