RESIDENTS and councillors in Brotherton say they are “delighted” that plans for a permanent travellers’ site in the village have been shelved.
The community united to launch two petitions protesting against Selby Council’s plan to earmark land at Millfarm, Old Great North Road, as its preferred option for the site.
Landowner Robert Youngman last week withdrew the land from the council’s Site Allocation Development Plan Document (SADPD) after he was given planning permission to use the site to store 50 unoccupied caravans.
Stephanie Gilbert, chairman of Brotherton Parish Council, said: “We are delighted the owner has withdrawn his land and it is no longer the preferred option in the SADPD.
“We have had a traumatic time because of the way this was handled and would not wish this experience on any community.”
Mr Youngman said he agreed to have his land listed as a possible travellers’ site after two planning applications to store unoccupied caravans which he submitted last year were rejected by Selby Council’s planning committee, on Brotherton Parish Council’s recommendation.
He said: “I only agreed to have my site as a proposed travellers’ site because my applications to store caravans were rejected. I just want to make use of the land.
“Had certain members in the parish council not been so pernickety with my planning applications in the past, it would have saved everyone a lot of time.
“Now I have been granted planning permission I am quite relieved that it is all moving forwards.”
Selby Council agreed at a full meeting yesterday that the Whitley area would be the new preferred option for the travellers’ site. The SAPDP is available for consultation on the council’s website from September 22.