White Swan celebrate title success

White Swan, with the trophy for finishing as Selby League champions.
White Swan, with the trophy for finishing as Selby League champions.

Despite losing their last game of the season White Swan were able to celebrate winning the Selby League.

Abbey Vaults turned the tables on the champions with a 3-0 win in the last league game, but White Swan already had enough points in the bank.

They finished on 35 points, two ahead of runners-up Malt Shovel and three in front of third-placed Pontefract Town.

Great Preston have fared less well in a difficult season with a lot of postponements, finishing third from bottom.

The James Sly Trophy is still ongoing with White Swan winning 3-0 at Pontefract Town as Kyle Fish struck twice and Regan Fish once.

This week saw the Challenge Cup final with Abbey Vaults up against Bird in Hand Rangers in a game hosted at Selby Town’s ground with a good turn out of spectators to make the day even more memorable.

Vaults were straight in with high pressure defending from the front to get control of the game and it did not take long for chances to come. But for all their pressure they could not apply the finish until excellent work on the right from Durham, taking on three men in the box, saw him cross the ball towards Lawson only for a Bird defender to handle it.

A penalty was the result and Lawson, the usual penalty taker, allowed Andy Porter to take the chance. He did not disappoint with a perfectly despatched spot kick that went in off the post.

Vaults started the second half strongly when a throw-in found Lawson in the Bird area and he took on two defenders before calmly slotting the ball into the far corner to make it 2-0.

A third goal followed as Adrian Kisiel played a one-two with Lazenby, beat his man and smashed the ball into the far corner.

Bird hit back to score with a penalty, but were denied a further goal as Bramley made an excellent save to keep out a 20-yard shot that was flying into the top corner.

There were more chances for the Vaults that could not be converted and the game ended 3-1 with Abbey Vaults taking the trophy back to Selby for the first time in many years.

Adrian Kisiel was awarded the man of the match trophy at the end.