Allerton Bywater complete double over rivals

Gareth Portman's unbeaten 82 was in vain for Glasshoughton against Allerton Bywater.
Gareth Portman's unbeaten 82 was in vain for Glasshoughton against Allerton Bywater.
Share this article

Allerton Bywater maintained their Division Three promotion bid by completing a league double over Glasshoughton.

Kristian Thickett (4-52) and Akeel Ali (4-53) limited Glasshoughton to 201-8 which included an unbeaten 82 by Gareth Portman and 51 from Rob Sperrin.

Matt Longdon (50), Michael Wade (36), Tom Greenwood (29) and Richard Lamb (29no) led the way as Allerton knocked off the runs for the loss of six wickets.

Glasshoughton bounced back by reaching the AJS Teamwear Trophy final with a five-wicket win over Division Four leaders Rossington the next day. Richard Caunce claimed 3-37 as Rossington were skittled for 107 which Glasshoughton comfortably overhauled, with Gary Mapplebeck and Portman each hitting 27.

In the final at Frickley Colliery on Sunday, July 28, Glasshoughton take on Division Three leaders West Bretton who beat Hundhill Hall in the other semi-final.

Opener Keith Whitehouse (87) steered West Bretton to 210-8. Hundhill’s Peter Ferguson took 3-31 and Keith Breckon 2-34.

Reece Johnson, who hammered 13 fours in a sparkling 68, and opener Richard Earnshaw (50) led Hundhill’s reply which fell 26 runs short in an exciting run chase when they were bowled out for 184 in the 38th over.

Hundhill were also out of luck the previous day in a low-scoring Division Three game at Thorne Colliery.

The East Hardwick side looked handily placed when Josh Gill (5-28) and Steve Simpson (2-7) sent Thorne reeling from 24-0 to 79 all out.

In reply, opener Simon Leach (14) was the only batsman who reached double figures as Hundhill slumped from 36-2 to 60 all out. They had no answer to Thorne’s Mark Walton who snapped up 8-19 from 13 overs.

Streethouse 2nds lost by nine wickets to Darton.

Jason Holmes (73), Paul McMullan (34) and Dylan Bowles (27no) steered Streethouse to 185-7 but it wasn’t enough because Darton knocked off the runs in 37.3 overs thanks to an unbroken stand between Andrew Wood (93no) and Matthew Foster (72no).