Double success for Townville

Townville's South African all-rounder Kyllin Vardhan sennds down a delivery in Sunday's Heavy Woollen Cup match against Birstall. PICTURE: STEVE RIDING.
Townville's South African all-rounder Kyllin Vardhan sennds down a delivery in Sunday's Heavy Woollen Cup match against Birstall. PICTURE: STEVE RIDING.
Share this article

Last season’s losing finalists Townville visit Bradford League Hanging Heaton in the Heavy Woollen Cup semi-finals on Sunday, July 7.

Townville booked their place in the last four by beating Birstall by six wickets in Sunday’s quarterfinal at Poplar Avenue.

It completed a quick double for Central Yorkshire League leaders Townville who also defeated Birstall by four wickets the previous day in a Premier Division top of the table clash.

Birstall recovered from 16-2 and 108-6 to post 251-8 in Sunday’s cup game thanks mainly to a 115-run stand between Craig Wood (87) and Nick Kaye (86).

Dean Woolsey (3-16) and Jack Hughes ( 2-30) were Townville’s most successful bowlers.

Townville knocked the runs with seven overs to spare after openers Tim Walton and Jonny Booth put on 182.

Walton smashed three sixes and 12 fours in a sparkling 95 off 100 balls and Booth’s 75 came off just 70 deliveries.

Townville were also in excellent batting form on Saturday’s league win over Birstall at Leeds Road.

Eric Austin (80no), Rob McFarlane (47) and former Townville player Stewart Clifton (41) steered Birstall to 245-8.

Townville’s South African all-rounder Kyllin Vardhan claimed 4-93 and Ritchie Bresnan had figures of 3-32.

Townville’s reply started badly but they staged a winning recovery thanks to a magnificent unbeaten 118 by Conor Harvey.

He received excellent support from Kristian Ward (44) and Nick Bresnan (22).

Townville are two points clear of closest rivals Methley who climbed to second place with a three-wicket success at in-form Carlton.

Carlton looked set for a healthy score when Jaycob Curtling (47), Phil Page (44) and ex-Methley batsman Steve Bourne (26) led them to 115-2.

But they collapsed to 149 all out after losing their last eight wickets for only 34 runs.

The damage was done by Matthew Waite, Marcus Walmsley and John Rickers.

Waite bagged 3-26 from eight overs, Walmsley 3-25 from seven and Rickers 2-39 from 14.

In reply, Methley made a shaky start when they lost openers Nick Connolly and Walmsley with only 33 runs on the board.

They were still in trouble at 99-6 but Chris Holliday held things together by hitting 15 boundaries in a match-winning 79 off 71 balls.

Michael Waite (19no) and Jack Rich (4no) sealed victory with an unbroken eighth wicket stand of 18.

Methley 2nds collected maximum points for the first time this season in Division One with an impressive 78-run victory over promotion-chasers East Ardsley.

An unbeaten century by experienced skipper Andy Ward, who struck 15 fours, was the highlight of Methley’s total of 183-5.

Ward shared a second-wicket stand of 73 with Jason Baddeley (14) and put on 84 for the fifth wicket with Dave Ellis whose 41 came off 41 balls.

East Ardsley’s reply never got going once Methley’s Beatrice Firth (2-4) dismissed both openers.

Andy Langley’s defiant 38 was in vain for the visitors as Keiron Holliday (4-25) and Baddeley (3-56) sent them reeling to 105 all out.

In Division Two, bottom side Townville 2nds lost by two wickets to Birstall 2nds after suffering a batting collapse at Poplar Avenue.

Openers Steve Walton (57) and Dale Jones (33) gave Townville an excellent start by putting on 72 but they then slumped to 134 all out after losing their last five wickets for just four runs. No other Townville batsmen reached double figures.

Gary Mackereth and Ryan Kelsey each bagged three wickets to reduce Birstall’s reply to 69-6 but Richard Hobson’s unbeaten 42 saw the visitors home.