Ashley Bell strikes then sees red in Glasshoughton Welfare’s frustrating draw

Glasshoughton Welfare were left frustrated after having to settle for a share of the spoils when pegged back by Hallam after dominating the opening half in their latest Toolstation NCE Division One game.

Friday, 31st January 2020, 9:00 am

In their third successive home game Welfare were looking good for a third win in those matches as they were in charge against their mid-table opponents, but paid the price for not being able to take their opportunities as they ended up with a 1-1 result.

It was certainly an eventful day for Ashley Bell as he put Houghton ahead in the first half, but was sent-off after the break to leave his side playing out the last 17 minutes with 10 men.

They once again showed their spirit to ensure they took home at least one point and remain in sixth place in the table, just two points behind Campion in fourth.

Ashley Bell heads in Glasshoughton Welfare's goal against Hallam. Picture: Keith A Handley

It was achieved without several key players with goalkeeper Mat Zaniewski and captain Adam Walsh sidelined with injury as were Josh Vamplew and Craig Tonkinson.

Welfare took the lead in the 26th minute when Ryan Hallsworth’s free-kick was headed home by Bell.

More chances came and went and it remained 1-0 until Hallam levelled nine minutes into the second half after being awarded a penalty for handball against Nick Lalousis.

Sam Smith’s spot kick hit the post, but Sam Fewkes netted from the rebound to make it 1-1.

Nathan Perks gets a shot in for Glasshoughton Welfare. Picture: Keith A Handley

Welfare’s hopes of coming up with a winner were hampered when Bell was then somewhat harshly red carded for a second bookable offence in the eyes of the referee.

The sending-off effectively killed the contest with the hosts settling for a draw from this point. With their extra man Hallam tried to force the issue, but 17-year-old keeper Lewis French was rarely tested in the closing stages.

Joint manager Lee Vigars spoke of a classic “game of two halves”

He said: “It was a really strong first half performance and we were really pleased at half-time.

“We were a little disappointed we did not come in at half-time 2-0 up. We had a couple of chances we felt we could have done better with.

“We didn’t really come out for the second half. We expected Hallam to come at us and they did.

“The sending-off has obviously put us under the cosh and we have struggled.

“We are a little disappointed we have not taken all three points, but on the whole a point when you consider Ash Bell was sent off, it is a good one. We’d have taken a point given that scenario.”

Glasshoughton will be able to sit back and see how their promotion rivals get on this Saturday as they are without a game. They are next in action at fifth-placed North Ferriby.