Cup joy for Healdfield

Healdfield celebrate their cup success.
Healdfield celebrate their cup success.

Healdfield were celebrating on Saturday after winning the Selby League’s Hardy Cup with a 3-0 victory over Great Preston in the final played at Kellingley Social Club.

Both teams played well with all players taking full advantage of a well maintained pitch and the excellent management of the game by referee Dave Brayshaw, assistants Michael Siddell and Simon Ingram and fourth official Garry Lewis contributed to an enjoyable game.

The result did not reflect how evenly matched the teams were with Healdfield’s goalkeeper making some brilliant saves to keep Great Preston’s barrage of shots at goal out of the net.

But it was Healdfield who did get the ball in the back of the net three times with Jamie Simpson scoring twice and man of the match Johnny Clayton also on target.

There were plenty of goals in a round two James Sly Trophy tie as Pollington won 10-5 away to Hensall & Kellington.

Mark Baggaley led the way with five for the winners with Brian Robertson (two), James Baggaley and Alex Hunt (two) also on target. Scorers for Hensall were Josh Stansfield, Kelvin Robinson, John Magyar, Jimmy Earley and Michael Cotterill.

In the league on Saturday Wistow’s game against Leodis was not played as Leodis are currently under WRCFA suspension.

Pontefract Town went down to a surprise 3-2 defeat away to Thorpe United, who had players back from injury after being unable to field a team the previous week.

Jamie Jennings, Jamie Brice and Dan Cotterill were on target for the winners with Chris Burnett and Alex McGuinness replying for Town.

In midweek Pontefract Town beat Malt Shovel 5-3 as Ian Jaques, Chris Burnett, Jamie Knowles and Liam McGregor (two) netted.

Healdfield hit the goal trail to beat Wistow 16-2 with James Dyson (seven), Johnny Clayton (three), Jamie Simpson (two), Niall Gordon and John Adey on target to go with two own goals.

Healdfield now host Thorpe United in the James Sly Trophy semi-final this Saturday, hoping to get to another final to be played at Kellingley Social Club on Saturday, May 16.