Dickinson hits hat-trick in Ferrybridge final triumph

James Hicks, who played a key part in Ferrybridge Progressive's cup final win over Whitwood Metrostars. Picture: MARK WYARD
James Hicks, who played a key part in Ferrybridge Progressive's cup final win over Whitwood Metrostars. Picture: MARK WYARD

A hat-trick from Ferrybridge Progressive stalwart David Dickinson ensured there were to be no upsets in Friday night’s Castleford & District FA Sunday Cup final as they ran out comfortable 3-0 winners over a spirited Whitwood Metrostars side.

Having beaten four Premier Division sides in the previous rounds, Richard Palmer’s charges can take great pride in reaching the final, but in the end Ferrybridge’s higher league ranking shone through.

Ferry looked to get a grip of the game from the off, but the impressive work rate from Whitwood saw chances for any team at a premium for the opening 10 minutes before a well taken free-kick by Rob Anderson that eluded everyone in the Whitwood box followed by a wild strike from Metrostars’ James Watson threatened to bring the game to life.

Ferrybridge started to look the more dangerous as a shot from youngster Josh Morley brought about a good penalty claim, the ball striking the hand of a Whitwood defender, but all appeals were turned down. Dickinson was the next to shoot over after making room inside the area and the striker then ran on to a beautifully weighted ball from Danny Middleton only for his shot to draw a smart save from Wayne Hopkinson.

Ferry did take the lead with a wonderfully worked goal as a delightful lob over the top from Middleton was headed into the path of Dickinson by Anderson and the striker made no mistake, finding the bottom of the goal with a first time hit.

Barratt and Seed were next to see their shots go over as Ferrybridge looked to add a second, while at the other end Karl Robinson shot high and wide from a rare Whitwood first half chance.

Another excellent set piece from Middleton was met by the volley of Dickinson, but his shot was straight at the well placed Hopkinson.

In an action pack last five minutes of the half Hopkinson was at full stretch to marvellously keep out a Barratt thunderbolt. Moments later Josh Morley’s perfectly timed tackle denied Fletcher when the midfielder was through.

A brave block from Arron Robinson denied Middleton a certain goal early in the second half then it was the turn of Hopkinson to deny the impressive Middleton, the keeper equal to a powerful strike.

A brilliant run from Terry Bailey was let down by a mis-hit shot as Whitwood offered a rare attack.

Ferry manager Martin Shaw put on James Hicks and the striker made an instant impact, linking brilliantly with Fish to set up Dickinson to make it 2-0.

Jordan Hartstone fired wide as Whitwood looked to hit back then with only keeper Adam Tasker to beat Calve Dunning headed straight into his arms.

But Whitwood ran out of steam and it was all over when Hicks’ powerful header hit the crossbar and rebounded to Dickinson, who was able to complete his hat-trick.

Dickinson’s performance earned him the MOM award as Ferrybridge added their second piece of silverware to the cabinet this season.