Dunn strikes twice in opening win for Ponte Colls

Pontefract Collieries' Mickey Dunn.
Pontefract Collieries' Mickey Dunn.

Two goals from new striker Mickey Dunn helped Pontefract Collieries to come from behind to seal victory at Ollerton Town in their first Toolstation NCE Division One game of the season.

Colls trailed to a 13th minute goal from Danny Wiltshire as they came up against newcomers to the league, but hit back to win 2-1.

Ponte started well enough with Kane Reece sending an early volley over, but fell behind as Wiltshere got to a through ball ahead of Ben Saynor and rounded the keeper to score.

Lewis Bingham went close twice for the hosts while Brandon Shaw saw his effort from a corner saved by Saynor.

But Colls dug in before producing a strong finish to the first half with Chris Wood forcing a save from the home keeper and Jimmy Williams having a header saved.

Then right on the stroke of half-time a corner was parried out by keeper Simon Smith and Dunn pounced to make it 1-1.

Ponte continued the good work into the second half with Paul Haigh seeing his header superbly saved before Dunn scored what proved the winner on 57 minutes when firing past the keeper after finding space.

Bingham hit a shot just wide for Ollerton, but they never really looked like getting back into the game with Collieries taking their first three points.

In midweek Ponte were unlucky to go out of the NCE League Cup at the first round stage when they lost a penalty shoot-out 4-3 against AFC Emley.

The game had ended 2-2 with Jordan Turner putting Colls ahead in the first half and Jordan Coduri equalising after the break. Ashley Flynn made it 2-1 to the hosts in extra-time, but Ponte hit back to force a shoot-out with Turner netting his second seven minutes from time.

This Saturday, Pontefract are back in FA Cup action with a preliminary round tie at home to Bootle (kick-off 3pm).

They are also in action at home next Tuesday when taking on Westella & Willerby (7.45pm) in a Toolstation NCE Division One game.