Glasshoughton add Grimsby duo to squad

Kris Fawcett.
Kris Fawcett.

Glasshoughton Welfare joint managers Simon Houghton and Craig Wilkinson have signed Grimsby Town striker Kris Fawcett on a work experience loan deal.

The highly recommended York-born player lives local to Glasshoughton and arrives at an ideal time for Welfare as they have several players out injury or suspended.

A second player has also arrived from Grimsby, with full-back or midfielder Lucas Middleton another join on a work experience deal.

Both players made their first appearances for the club from the substitutes’ bench last Saturday in the disappointing loss at home to Selby Town.

The managerial duo also need to ensure they have enough players eligible to play in the next round of the League Cup after their surprise reprieve when it was discovered that Pickering played an ineligible player in the last round.

Welfare will now be away at either Thackley or Eccleshill United in the fourth round.

The management made a further signing last week when former Ossett Town player Lewis Akeister joined the squad and he made his debut in the 4-2 win at Lincoln Moorlands.

Glasshoughton, meanwhile, saw their recent good form hit the buffers last Saturday when they were well beaten 3-0 at home by near neighbours Selby Town at a damp Leeds Road ground.

Despite the result they remain in 15th place in the Toolstation NCE Division One as other teams round them all had poor results. However, joint managers Houghton and Wilkinson were less than impressed with a performance that was far removed from what they had seen from their side in recent weeks.

Welfare made one change from the side that had beaten Lincoln Moorlands the previous week with new goalkeeper Mark Suttle replacing Jordan Watson.

Young Grimsby youth players Kris Fawcett and Lucas Middleton were among the substitutes, as was defender Leon Cusworth, who had been out injured for a number of weeks.

On an uneven Leeds Road pitch the visitors probably had the best of the early exchanges and Danny Bunch shot just wide after five minutes.

But Welfare hit back and they should have taken the lead moments later when James Popplewell cut in from the right only to chip he ball wide of Kieran Gibson’s far post.

Ten minutes later Luke Durham had a shot parried by Gibson at the foot of the post and this was basically the last chance in the game for a home goal.

Selby took the lead on 27 minutes when Adam Walsh conceded a free-kick just outside the area. The resulting kick was well saved by Suttle, but with the Welfare defence slow to react, Will Ramsey followed up and hit the ball into the far corner of the net.

A minute before half-time Selby were awarded a penalty after a trip in the area and Danny Bunch beat Suttle to give the visitors a two-goal lead at the interval.

In the second period both teams struggled with the pitch conditions, but Selby increased their lead on 65 minutes when the welfare defenders went missing on the right and the ball was played across the area to the onrushing Ramsey, who hammered it past Suttle for his second of the game.

Five minutes later it should have been four when a cross found the head of the unmarked Garry Collier six yards out, but he put the effort over the bar.

After the game joint manager Wilkinson said: “The best team won.

“We were not at the races today right from the first whistle and we got what we deserved. It is very disappointing after the run we were on.”

This Saturday Welfare will be looking to bounce back when they travel to play Penistone Church in the league, kick-off 3pm.