Glasshoughton home in on success with three wins in a week

Mitch Wilshire looks to hold the ball up for Glasshouyghton Welfare against Retford United.
Mitch Wilshire looks to hold the ball up for Glasshouyghton Welfare against Retford United.

After having to wait until November to register their first home victory in Division One of the Toolstation NCE League this season Glasshoughton Welfare have now won three.

A good second half performance ensured Retford United became their latest victims, although the second from bottom side proved resolute visitors.

A headed Conor Glavin goal got Welfare on the score sheet and two from substitute Ryan Ferguson wrapped up a 3-0 win with all the goals coming in a five minute spell midway through the second period.

Retford did not help their cause by showing a lack of discipline and they ended the contest with only nine players.

Welfare attacked from the off and man of the match Rob Oldham hit a free-kick just over while Andy Horbury had a couple of efforts blocked and Glavin somehow missed the target from six yards.

Spectators and players were confused on 22 minutes when, with Welfare attacking and visiting keeper James Gamble handling outside his penalty area, referee Cavanhagh brought play to a halt. After consultation with his assistant referee he dismissed Retford player Tom Mullen for apparent abusive language to the assistant. The official surprisingly then ordered a drop ball on the edge of the visiting area.

Welfare continued to attack, but had two penalty shouts turned down and Gamble did well to save a Horbury effort.

Welfare stayed on top in the second half with Gamble saving well to deny Glavin and Matt Wilshire before the deadlock was finally broken on 66 minutes when Glavin headed home.

Four minutes later Ferguson was put through and he finished well with a shot from the edge of the area.

Within a minute he tapped in his second when Gamble could only parry an Oldham cross and it was effectively all over.

Glavin saw a free-kick crash against the post and Ferguson went close to his hat-trick while Retford were reduced to nine men late on as a reckless challenge from Josh Aitken saw him receive a second yellow card.

Joint manager Lee Vigars said: “It was a good solid performance against a spirited Retford side who in all honesty never really tested us.

“It’s never as easy as people think to play against 10 men as the shape of the game changes and things can become disjointed. We spoke at half time about being patient, keeping the shape we started with and in time the chances would come. We had to be more clinical and that’s exactly what we were.”

Welfare were in winning form again on Tuesday night when they hosted Nostell MW in a second round League Cup tie and came out on top 4-0.

Conor Glavin gave them the lead just before half-time and two from man of the match Andy Horbury plus a final goal by Ryan Ferguson sealed a third home win in seven days.

Ferguson started the game in place of the injured Connor Rollinson and other changes saw Samuel Isles make his second appearance in goal and Jordan Emery replace Andy McManus.

The first half was a pretty tame affair with both sides cancelling each other out although Isles was forced into a decent save.

Despite missing the target on a number of occasions in the past few weeks, Conor Glavin showed that he is still wearing his shooting boots when he smashed the ball home from 10 yards after 42 minutes, giving Matthew Brook no chance.

Welfare caused a few problems for the visitors in the second half and a couple of lobbed efforts at goal caused anxious moments for Brook.

Nostell huffed and puffed, but only a fine diving save by Isles prevented Billy Mole equalising with a thunderous free-kick.

Welfare increased their lead on 80 minutes when Horbury headed home from a right wing cross.

Three minutes later the tall striker got his second when he fired home after being put through by Ferguson.

Brook made a couple of decent saves from Rob Oldham strikes but Ferguson, with his third goal in two games, wrapped the scoring up just before the end when he lobbed the ball over Brook.

A pleasing note for Welfare was the performances of the three players brought in for the game. Isles, Emery, and Ferguson, are all young players and had solid games along with substitute Reece Horn.

Glasshoughton will be aiming to climb into the top half of the table when they travel to play Hallam this Saturday (3pm).