Glasshoughton perk up as Perks hits hat-trick

Josh Morley, a scorer for Glasshoughton Welfare.
Josh Morley, a scorer for Glasshoughton Welfare.

Glasshoughton Welfare ended a run of five straight defeats in spectacular style when they hammered Worsbrough Bridge Athletic 5-1 in Division One of the Toolstation NCE League on Tuesday night.

The score could have been even more emphatic as Welfare really found their form and missed as many chances as they took.

A Nathan Perks first half hat-trick saw Houghton get off to a good start and although Worsborough got one back early in the second half a Josh Morley free-kick and an own goal from the visitors’ goalkeeper saw Welfare to their third league win of the season.

Glasshoughton crashed to their fifth straight league defeat on Saturday when they visited Knaresborough Town.

As is usual with Welfare this season they took the lead, but were unable to hold on and went down 4-1 to a vibrant Town side.

Welfare manager Mick Norbury introduced two new signings to his starting line-up in Luke Durham and Brett Lucas and in the opening seconds they could have gone ahead when a shot was blocked on the home line.

However, they did take the lead after six minutes when Ash Scothern’s low ball into the Knaresborough area was hooked into the top of the net from 18 yards by new boy Durham.

Town came back and Blaine Hobson shot just wide before he equalised on eight minutes when the ball was lost at the edge of the area and Hobson shot strongly past keeper Jordan Watson.

Nathan Perks had a shot blocked for Welfare, but then on 24 minutes the hosts went ahead when George Eustace received a ball from the left and he slotted home.

It could have been worse for the visitors in the next few minutes when Eustace hit a shot wide and Hobson hit the bar with a header.

However, just before the interval Durham hit a good chance over for Welfare and Luke Norbury forced home keeper Jack Rushworth into a fine save.

Welfare had a lucky escape in the first minute of the second half when a Hobson piledriver cannoned off a post.

Watson then had to make a good stop as the home team looked to increase their lead, but at the other end Houghton substitute Regan Fish had a good chance, but could only shoot weakly into the hands of Rushworth.

On 64 minutes Town went three up when Graham Whitehead poked the ball home after an initial shot had been blocked by Watson.

Three minutes later the home side got a fourth, and Hobson his second, when he drilled home from the edge of the area.

Welfare tried to come back with Danny Cawley hitting a shot wide and he also saw a header drop just wide.

Just before the end a great pass from Adam Walsh found Perks at the edge of the area, but although the Welfare striker turned well his shot flew just wide of the near post.

This Saturday Glasshoughton are back at home against mid-table Teversal (kick-off 3pm).