Glasshoughton Welfare celebrate home win at last

Dalton Harris shoots past the Lincoln Moorlands Railway goalkeeper to score for Glasshoughton Welfare. (p308c346)
Dalton Harris shoots past the Lincoln Moorlands Railway goalkeeper to score for Glasshoughton Welfare. (p308c346)

Glasshoughton Welfare finally buried their winless home hoodoo in the Toolstation NCE Premier Division as they disposed of basement side Lincoln Moorlands Railway following a tight first half.

Three goals in seven second half minutes clinched a 3-0 victory for Welfare, who survived going down to 10 men for the last 20 minutes when Liam Cook was sent-off.

Following a quiet opening during which both teams appeared cautious it was Welfare on the quarter hour mark who made the first opening, Greig McGrory latching on to a loose ball only to fire wide.

Vigorous opponents then showed as a good low effort from Ryan Pell forced home keeper Paul Hagreen to turn round the post.

If lacking in skills the young visitors were full of enthusiasm and Welfare although mainly on top were required to pull out all the stops.

They looked to have broken the deadlock when a ball over the defence put McGrory clear one-on-one with keeper Richard Chester, but it was the custodian who stood his ground to come out on top and take the game scoreless to the interval.

From the start of the second half Lincoln visibly wilted, the first half effort having apparently taken its toll, and Welfare sewed the game up in a seven minute spell.

They went ahead in the 55th minute through Russell Headley, driving in a cross from close range.

Within two minutes a deft turn and drive home by McGrory left Moorlands defenders flatfooted and less than five minutes later Dalton Harris produced some fine close control to work across the penalty area and place into the bottom corner to make the points safe for the home men.

Such was the superiority of Glasshoughton that a reduction to 10 men following the dismissal of Cook for a second yellow was hardly noticed. Although the plucky visitors kept going to the end home keeper Hagreen was hardly troubled and with a little more composure Welfare could have added to their tally.

Welfare were in action in the second round of the Toolstation NCE League Cup on Tuesday night when they dumped out of the NCE League Cup with a 4-2 second round defeat to Tadcaster Albion.

In an evenly balanced opening Welfare were the first to threaten, Hilliaro Serrao driving forward to balloon over, and from a well placed free-kick Alex Low headed wide.

Welfare looked the better side, but on the half-hour the visitors went ahead, Daniel Barratt being left free in oceans of space to go forward and lay on for James Coupland to place past keeper Hagreen.

Albion went close again as Danny Critchlow had an effort blocked on the line, but the home side was plugging away and right on the stroke of half- time Russell Headley met a fine cross with an equally fine header to put things all square.

Welfare took a surprise lead early in the second half with Headley again the scorer after cutting in from the left to drive past keeper Leon Wrigglesworth. But they were unable to build on it as Barrett’s effort took a wicked deflection to level matters once again.

In the 65th minute Welfare were dealt a cruel blow when the referee deemed what appeared to be an accidental collision as an infringement and Terry Taylor stepped up to give the visitors the lead from the penalty mark.

Welfare were clearly slumped at the proceedings and conceded again, Taylor left unmarked to turn in and end any hope of a comeback

A third home game in eight days sees Glasshoughton entertain Winterton Rangers in the league on Saturday (3pm) and they host Armthorpe Welfare next Tuesday (7.45pm).