Glasshoughton Welfare end losing streak after manager quits

Alex Booth.
Alex Booth.

Managerless Glasshoughton Welfare ended a six-match losing streak when they beat Liversedge 2-0 in the Premier Division of the Toolstation NCE League on Tuesday night.

Following the shock resignation of manager Rob Hunter, team matters were placed temporarily in the hands of reserve team manager John Miles and assistant Liam Kellett and their team containing a number of new and ‘old’ faces did the club proud.

Returning to the fold were former players Del Pollock, Mark Newton and Alex Booth and all had a major part in Welfare’s dogged but justified win.

Pollock and Newton each got on the scoresheet and Booth dictated play in midfield.

On an uneven bumpy surface Pollock showed a deft touch when controlling on the edge of the area to go forward and hit a grubber shot in off the upright to put Welfare ahead after 10 minutes.

He continued to be a thorn in the visitors’ side all evening with his pacy direct running. But play was even with few clear chances, although Booth put a header just wide and then one onto the crossbar.

As Welfare hung on to their precious one goal lead into the closing period the uneven surface resulted in visiting keeper Danny King allowing a long range Newton grubber shot to slip through his grasp to give the hosts the breathing space to go on and register their first win in seven games.

In Hunter’s last match in charge on Saturday Welfare continued to struggle against lower placed opponents as another well below par effort saw them lose 2-0 at home to Parkgate.

Their run of defeats should have been put well behind them within minutes of the kick-off when following a Josh Prudhoe lift over Ian Ward was presented with what appeared a relatively easy opportunity in front of goal, but hesitancy proved his downfall.

On the bumpy surface Welfare’s Paul Hagreen brought off a superb reflex save to deny the visitors, but on 18 minutes there was little the keeper could do when Parkgate’s Matt Reay was left unmarked from a dubiously awarded free-kick to head the visitors into the lead.

From a similar free-kick position at the other end of the park Welfare’s Ward again found space, but unfortunately was unable to retrieve the ball from under his feet for what should have been a simple tap-in.

When the visitors won a corner kick out of nothing the hosts were put under a concentrated spell of pressure which they were fortunate to survive and they were thankful to only be trailing by one goal at the interval.

Within minutes of the restart Parkgate went further ahead, some woeful defending, again from a long range free-kick, allowing Scott Whittington to rise above everyone else and head home.

Hagreen was then called into further action to deny the visitors adding to their lead.

In what were becoming rare sorties on the visitors’ goal Kieran Corley put a worthwhile shot narrowly over and Robert McCrumb raked across the goalmouth.

But despite a concentrated scramble in the goalmouth which Parkgate were more than pleased to see repelled, the visitors clearly had the upper hand and their superiority took them through to the final whistle with some comfort.

This Saturday Glasshoughton are back on their travels when they are away to Armthorpe Welfare (kick-off 3pm).