Glasshoughton Welfare go out of FA Cup in replay

Del Pollock, on target for Glasshoughton Welfare in the FA Cup.
Del Pollock, on target for Glasshoughton Welfare in the FA Cup.

Glasshoughton Welfare gave it a good go, but crashed out of the Emirates FA Cup in an extra preliminary round replay against North West Counties Premier League outfit Runcorn Linnets on Tuesday night.

After producing a battling display they drew 2-2 in the original tie on Saturday and were testing their higher ranked opponents in the quick return when Del Pollock scored to make it 2-1 just before half-time.

But they were then overrun in the second half and eventually went down 6-1.

Welfare earned the replay when two second half goals from striker Pollock earned a 2-2 draw on Saturday.

Welfare were losing 1-0 at half-time courtesy of a Kurt Sherlock strike, but the two from Pollock put the hosts in the driving seat until an 85th minute goal from substitute Mark Houghton earned Runcorn a replay.

In front of a decent crowd Runcorn were the first to show when a dangerous ball from the left was comfortably collected by keeper Matt Stables.

Welfare came close on 15 minutes when Pollock got through on goal, but his shot was beaten away by Runcorn keeper Ritchie Mottram.

Back came Runcorn and Stables blocked a shot from Sherlock then saved a follow-up shot well.

Tom Coyles drove a shot wide for Welfare before Runcorn took the lead on 30 minutes with Sherlock getting through the home defence to slot past Stables to the delight of the travelling supporters.

Runcorn were on top now and Simpson fired into the side netting when a pass across goal may have proved more profitable.

Sherlock had a shot saved by the legs of Stables and defender Josh Morley cleared a goalbound effort off the line. For Welfare, a corner from the right saw the ball just skim the head of Pollock.

Welfare opened the second half on the front foot and on 50 minutes equalised as a Morley corner from the right bounced up to Pollock and he steered a header past Mottram from eight yards out.

Welfare were then lucky when a 25-yard free-kick from Sherlock hit the home bar and after bouncing down onto the line the ball was collected by Stables.

On the hour Pollock got his second and made it 2-1 when shooting past Mottram from 10 yards after Danny Cawley played the ball to Regan Fish, who beat two men before squaring for the scorer.

Despite this the visitors looked dangerous and after a goalmouth scramble the ball was cleared by Andy Seed.

Welfare looked to be holding out until their hopes of a win were dashed on 85 minutes when the ball was played across and substitute Mark Houghton curled the ball over Stables into the far corner.

During six minutes of injury-time Welfare substitute Kyle Fish was brought down 25 yards out, but Tom Carr hit the resulting free-kick wide of the target.

After the game Welfare manager Mick Norbury said: “My lads were quality again.

“We seem to be getting better every game.

“Nobody thought we had a chance today against them and for them to equalise with five minutes to go shows that to come to us and win then you’re going to have to earn it.”

Glasshoughton return to league action in the Toolstation NCE Division One this Saturday and will be looking for their first win since relegation when away to Grimsby Borough, who have lost their first two games (kick-off 3pm).

They are also in action at home next Tuesday when hosting Rossington Main, who have four points from their first three matches (kick-off 7.45pm).