Glasshoughton Welfare show spirit in defeat

Blaine Kellett, sent-off for Glasshoughton Welfare against Tadcaster.
Blaine Kellett, sent-off for Glasshoughton Welfare against Tadcaster.

Glasshoughton Welfare went out of the NCE League Cup at the fourth round stage on Tuesday night when they lost 2-0 to AFC Mansfield.

Welfare contributed to an entertaining game, but were removed from the competition by a good first division outfit

The game was end to end with both teams giving their all in the quest for a result.

From a long touchline run and cross by Jordan Vilums the visitors’ Phil Buxton missed an early sitter, allowing Welfare to work up field and test keeper Chris Martin. But half-time came with no score.

In the second period Mansfield had more of the play, but Welfare should be disappointed in the nature of the visitors’ opening goal on the hour, a long punt out of defence finding Phil Buxton in space to plant past keeper Josh Archer.

Welfare lived dangerously as Mansfield’s Tristan Whitman raked the home crossbar, but in the 70th minute the visitors’ substitute Craig Mitchell stabbed home in a goalmouth ruck to put the tie to bed.

Despite admirable effort Welfare were unable to break down the opposition defence to reduce the arrears and they are now left with their relegation fight in the Premier Division to concentrate on

Welfare: Archer, Mottley-Henry, Morley, Walsh, Dyson, Snaith, Horton, Leach, L Kellett (Pollock, Anderson), B Kellett, Prudhoe.

Glasshoughton suffered another defeat in the Toolstation NCE Premier Division on Saturday, but put up a spirited display to match table toppers Tadcaster Albion for a large part of the game until the loss of skipper Blaine Kellett allowed the visitors the edge to take the points with a 2-0 score.

Albion looked the more dangerous during the opening skirmishes during which Welfare were indebted to inform keeper Josh Archer denying the lively forwards an early opener.

When Archer was eventually beaten Welfare were relieved to see a Carl Stewart lob clear the crossbar and in the home men’s first positive effort Kingsley Weatherald scuffed his shot when well placed.

Archer then turned a fierce long range drive from Vincent Dhest round the upright and provided further heroics when diving low to save a harshly awarded penalty kick from Stewart.

In an evenly matched encounter it appeared that neither side were able to break the deadlock going to the interval until in the 44th minute after Welfare had stoutly blocked out a number of goal bound efforts the ball dropped kindly at the feet of former Glasshoughton player Callum Ward, who rifled home a sweet drive to take the visitors in with the narrowest of leads.

Welfare restarted in positive fashion with Ryan Mottley forcing a fine save from visiting keeper Tom Morgan and a perfect cross which should have been easily headed home to put Welfare level was hooked over.

Both teams were still evenly matched with Welfare making light of their lowly league position up to the 70th minute when they were dealt a hammer blow with the debatable dismissal of skipper Blaine Kellett, allegedly for a two footed tackle.

From then on the visitors ruled the roost with Welfare defending in depth, Adam Walsh heading off the goal- line and restricting the league leaders to only one additional score when substitute David Brown fired in through a goalmouth ruck in the closing minutes, to leave Welfare contemplating the actions of a match referee they thought was overzealous.

Welfare: Archer, Dawley, Morley, Walsh, Dyson, B Kellett, Horton (L Kellett), Mottley-Henry, Prudhoe, Weatherald (Leung), Cressey (Anderson).

This Saturday sees second from bottom Glasshoughton at home again to another of the title challengers in fifth-placed Staveley MW. Kick-off is 3pm.

Mark Trueman left the club last week when he joined fellow Premier team Thackley.