Glasshoughton Welfare suffer first league defeat

Steve Palfrey.
Steve Palfrey.

Glasshoughton Welfare suffered their first defeat of the season in Division One of the Toolstation NCE League when they went down 4-2 to home to Hallam Tuesday night.

The visitors arrived with a record of four wins and a draw from their first five games and led 2-0 at half-time.

Another goal just after the break gave Welfare an uphill task, but Del Pollock pulled one back and soon after appeared to be hauled down in the area when through on goal. Everyone in the ground apart from the referee thought it was a penalty and he decided it was not.

Hallam got a fourth and Louis Penty did score an injury time penalty after Tom Carr was brought down.

A late penalty miss cost Welfare two points when they drew 1-1 at home to Hall Road Rangers on Saturday.

The normally reliable Danny Cawley was unable to put away an 84th minute spot-kick to leave Glasshoughton with a point after a lacklustre display.

A 59th minute Danny Walker strike put Rangers in front but Welfare levelled 12 minutes later through an Andy Harrison own goal.

Manager Mick Norbury made changes to the team who had beaten Rossington in midweek. With Iain Blackburn suspended he brought ex-Frickley Athletic player Louis Penty into the side and restored previously suspended captain Jimmy Williams in place of Phil Lindley while Andy Seed replaced the unavailable Alex Booth.

The first few minutes were tame although home keeper Matt Stables had to make a sprawling save down to his left from a headed chance and had to push the ball for a corner from a shot.

The keeper made a brave save at the feet of Tom Bennett before Welfare hit back with Rangers stopper Jordan Douglas parrying a Regan Fish shot.

Welfare came close to opening the scoring on 22 minutes. Ryan Smith was brought down on the left and the resultant Andy Seed free-kick hit the far post.

On the counter attack Walker fired wide with only Stables to beat then the keeper made a great block from the same player. Just before half-time the visitors’ goal came under pressure with a Smith cross headed away from under the bar by a defender. A mix-up between Douglas and a defender saw the ball scrambled away for a corner and a Josh Morley cross saw Cawley head just wide before Douglas made a great one handed save from the same player.

The second half opened slowly although Smith put Steve Palfrey in only for the latter to shoot wide.

The opening goal came after 59 minutes when Walker stole through the home defence and fired low past Stables from 20 yards.

Welfare drew level six minutes later when Palfrey forced his way down the right and his cross to the near post was deflected into his own goal by the unlucky Harrison.

Stables saved welfare a few minutes later when pushing a fierce shot over.

On 84 minutes substitute Del Pollock was tripped in the penalty area by Scott McKay, but Cawley’s spot-kick was saved by the legs of Douglas.

In the last couple of minutes the visitors’ Chris Hudson was sent off after receiving a second yellow card and Penty put Smith in, but he fired over,

This Saturday Welfare travel to Liverpool for an FA Vase qualifying round tie against Vauxhall Motors (3pm). If drawn the replay will be at Leeds Road next Tuesday (7.45pm), but if not they travel to league leaders Hull United.