Glavin heads Glasshoughton Welfare in right direction

Adam Hayton, who put away a penalty for Glasshoughton Welfare.
Adam Hayton, who put away a penalty for Glasshoughton Welfare.

Glasshoughton Welfare secured their seventh league win of the season when they came out on top at Leeds Road in a hard fought game against Toolstation NCE Division One newcomers Ollerton Town.

Adam Hayton’s 22nd minute penalty gave Welfare the lead, but the visitors’ attacking midfielder Mark Carter, who was a constant threat to the home defence all afternoon, pegged them back before Connor Glavin’s second half bullet header secured the points.

On this showing Ollerton, after a poor start in their first season in the league, are much improved and their quick attacking play will upset a lot of teams for the remainder of the season.

Welfare were forced into changes after the midweek defeat at Pontefract. Callum Harrison was out with an injury, and both Lewis Akeister and Ryan Poskitt were unavailable. Andy McManus returned after injury and Josh Morley and Greg Hunter came back into the side.

Ollerton looked dangerous in the first minutes and Sam Dockwray had a strong shot charged down. Just after this there was another good chance when Sam Stretton totally miskicked with only Welfare keeper Dan Waring to beat.

Welfare came close to opening the scoring on 15 minutes when a Morley cross was headed just wide by Nathan Keightley. McManus then just cleared the visitors’ goal with a powerful shot.

Waring came to Houghton’s rescue on 20 minutes when he did well to palm away a Carter shot.

Two minutes later, Welfare took the lead when a great ball by Morley fell to Greg Hunter in the area. He was fouled, but a penalty was given and Hayton stepped up to score his fourth spot kick of the season.

Glasshoughton came again and Keightley had a shot saved at the near post by Ollerton keeper Scott Gretton.

Ollerton equalised on 33 minutes when a corner from the left was poorly defended and Carter guided the ball past Waring.

Four minutes later Waring made a great save with his feet from Lewis Bingham and the rebound was hammered wide by Josh Bowkett.

At the other end, Stretton made two great saves just before half-time. He first made an instinctive stop to push a shot away and then he somehow blocked an Ashley Scothern header at the near post.

Ollerton opened the second half well and Bingham hit a shot just wide. But Welfare regained the lead on 55 minutes as a corner from the left by Keightley was met eight yards out by Glavin and his header rocketed into the net past Stretton.

Just after this Keightley had two efforts blocked at the near post and substitute Andy Horbury was denied by a combination of Stretton and a defender.

Ten minutes from time Bingham had a great chance to equalise when he was through with only Waring to beat, but he put a feeble effort straight into the keeper’s hands.

A few minutes later a corner found Carter six yards out, but his volley was well blocked by Waring at his near post.

Just before the end Waring had to move quickly to palm away an effort from 20 yards out by Kyle Ludlow.

After the game Welfare joint manager Darren Holmes commented: “It was very important that we put in a good performance and get all three points after Tuesday’s woeful performance at Pontefract.

“Although we were not at our best we did the simple things better and battled hard against an Ollerton side who definitely do not play as a bottom five team.

“They made us work hard and thankfully we finished our chances well.

“Thirteen points this month is very pleasing and we look forward to next Saturday which is another big game for us.”

Glasshoughton are away to Eccleshill United in the league this Saturday (kick-off 3pm) and are also in action next Tuesday night when away again to Teversal (7.45pm).