Glavin strikes twice as Glasshoughton end losing run

Action from Glasshoughton Welfare's game at Shirebrook Town. Picture: Peter Waby
Action from Glasshoughton Welfare's game at Shirebrook Town. Picture: Peter Waby

Glasshoughton Welfare returned to winning ways with a morale-boosting 3-0 away victory over Dronfield Town in Division One of the Toolstation NCE League.

After three straight defeats Welfare produced a much improved all-round display with the added bonus of keeping their second clean sheet of the season.

Conor Glavin fired them ahead from the penalty spot five minutes before half-time and Sam Varley made it 2-0 just two minutes after the break to put the visitors in control.

Glavin’s second on the hour mark sealed victory and lifted Welfare up to 11th in the table.

Glasshoughton slipped to their third consecutive defeat with a 2-0 loss at high flyers Shirebrook Town at a windswept Langwith Road ground on Saturday.

A goal in each half from the home side was the difference between the sides. But despite a poor first half, Welfare upped their game in the second and were unlucky not to come away with at least a point.

With players unavailable and injuries affecting the squad, Welfare were forced into changes for the game. Connor Rollinson came in for Tom Coyles and Josh Morley replaced Kyle Fish. Sam Varley came in for the injured Conor Glavin and young Jake Tonkinson made his full debut, replacing Lewis Akeister.

Early exchanges were even although Andy McManus did well to get a head to a vicious strike across goal leading to a corner.

McManus then hit a hopeful shot at the home goal which drifted just wide. This was the only effort on goal for the visitors in a poor first half display.

The home side took the lead on 17 minutes when Welfare lost possession on their 18-yard area and Daniel Williams beat Mateusz Zaniewski from 18 yards.

Glasshoughton then had a couple of lucky escapes. A headed goal was chalked off for offside. Tate Clarke was foiled by Zaniewski when one on one and then the big keeper got behind a point blank header.

Welfare started brighter in the second half. A great ball from Tonkinson found Andy Horbury on the right and his cross was met by Josh Bucknall whose effort was well held by home keeper Gavin Saxby.

Substitute Elie Akebeto then just failed to get on to the end of another great cross, but Welfare fell further behind on 54 minutes when Sam Dockwray cut in and fired into the far corner from the edge of the area.

A few minutes later Glavin, who had replaced Tonkinson, saw his header beat Saxby but it cannoned of the far post and was cleared.

Welfare were now on top and were unlucky in the last five minutes when firstly a shot from Akebeto was blocked on the goal line and then Horbury saw his header go inches wide of the post.

Welfare joint manager Darren Holmes said: “After three below par performances we were looking for a reaction. The first half was more of the same unfortunately with players not doing themselves justice and not giving what we require at this level.

“We changed things round towards the end of the first half and had a few choice words at half-time.

“The second half was probably the best 45 minutes we have had this season with players showing what they can do.

“We made a team at the top of the league look very vulnerable under pressure. With the chances we created in the second half we feel very disappointed we didn’t get something from the game if not all three points.”