Heavy first defeat for Glasshoughton bosses

Joint Glasshoughton Welfare manager Simon Houghton.
Joint Glasshoughton Welfare manager Simon Houghton.

Glasshoughton Welfare were beaten for the first time under new joint managers Simon Houghton and Craig Wilkinson last Saturday when they visited a cold and dreary Welfare Ground, the home of AFC Emley.

On a heavy pitch Welfare struggled for much of the game against their high flying opponents and with better finishing Emley could have easily added to their final 5-0 score.

Managers Houghton and Wilkinson gave a debut to big centre-half Spencer Clarke, who, despite the scoreline, looked a good addition to the team. There was also a second debut for striker Steven Bennett, who scored on this ground three years ago to win promotion for Glasshoughton.

Bennett came close on six minutes when he rifled in a shot from the edge of the area that home keeper Adam Lawlor saved at the second attempt.

A few minutes later Bennett had another shot blocked in the area and from the rebound Josh Morley looked certain to score, but the ball was just knocked off his foot.

On 16 minutes Alex Slack headed against the bar for Emley from a corner, but two minutes later another corner was not cleared and Paul Spicer rammed the ball past Jordan Watson to put the hosts in the lead.

After half an hour Emley increased their advantage. A cross from the left saw Watson rooted to the spot and Ruben Jerome headed home.

Just after this Ashley Flynn had a great chance when he lobbed the ball over Watson, but his effort went wide.

Welfare came back and Morley saw a drive fumbled over the bar by Lawlor.

Emley were always dangerous going forward and Jerome saw a shot go just over. A close range header then went straight into the arms of Watson.

On the stroke of half-time Emley got a third when Jordan Coduri slammed the ball past Watson after some great play by the home players.

Emley were four up within three minutes of the start of the second half when great movement on the right wing saw the ball reach the prolific Flynn who poked past Watson.

Welfare again tried to come back with substitute Luke Durham hitting a shot just over. For Emley, Jerome cut in and hit a shot high and wide, but then, on 70 minutes Flynn got the fifth goal when he stabbed past Watson after good build-up play on the right.

In the final stages Emley should have increased their lead several times, but most notably Watson thwarted Flynn twice when the striker was through on goal with just the keeper to beat.

After the game joint manager Simon Houghton commented: “There is no need to say a lot really. We were simply second best on the day.

“Conditions were not good, but we go again.”

Glasshoughton were due to be in action again on Tuesday night when they were scheduled to host Pickering Town in the third round of the Toolstation League Cup, but the tie was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.

It will now hopefully be played on Tuesday, January 19, with a 7.45pm kick-off.

All Tuesday league and cup games in the NCE were postponed as the wet weather continued to play havoc with fixture lists.

Glasshoughton are without a game this weekend, although the management are hoping to organise a friendly. As it stands now, their next scheduled match is in the league away against Rossington Main on Saturday, January 16 (3pm).